Friday, June 10, 2011

Flashback Friday: That Time I Decided to Become a Stay at Home Mama

It seems the mommy blogs I stalk read have hit on the topic of working mom vs. SAHM recently. Every mama goes through that same decision process- here's how I came to mine:

I guess my story goes all the way back to the beginning. I was raised by an awesome stay at home mama. We did all sorts of stuff. When I grew up she went back to work. And loved what she did. I wasn't far into my first teaching gig after college when I fell in love with the job too. So I couldn't imagine staying home to raise kiddos. (Actually at that time I couldn't really imagine raising kiddos at all). A few years later when I got pregnant, moved, and ended up in a job I didn't really care about, my mind started to change.

After Amelia was born, I took about 7 weeks for maternity leave. Then I had to go back to work full time. I worked for about 7 weeks. Because I was working at a child care center, Amelia was right down the hall from me, I knew her teachers well, and I could visit her during the day to nurse, etc. Sounds ideal, right?

I hated it.

Dropping her off in the mornings and working all day was no big deal. I didn't worry about her. I didn't miss her terribly. I knew she was just fine and I was too busy teaching/chasing/potty training 2-year-olds to really have time to dwell.

It was on the car ride home that I would lose it.

She smelled like someone else. I only had a slip of paper to tell me about her day. And worst of all, after spending all day working, I had to head home and start getting ready for the next day of work. Dinner, bath, bed, wash bottles, make lunches, do laundry, pack bags, etc.

So when it came time for our family to move (again!) I was more than happy to leave the "full-time" job and just have one job- taking care of my baby!

I think I'm going to be just like my mama when I grow up.


Things that helped an ambitious mama adjust to "just" staying home with the baby:
  1. Experiencing both worlds. When I start to get bored or have a particularly rough day, I can remember how unhappy I was working full time. I am happy with my choice.
  2. Talking about expectations with the hubby. Before I left my job, we talked specifically about my role and what we each expected from one another. Officially, I am the "household manager" and "primary childcare provider." (It turns out that I make a pretty good childcare provider and not so much household manager.)
  3. Having stuff to do. I try to have at least one outing every day and plenty ideas for activities for us to do around the house.
  4. Making mommy friends. I am so thankful for a network of other mamas to do things with and talk to. It is like having co-workers in this job. Except you get to pick them. Awesome!
Oh, and as far as "working mom" vs. SAHM- we all have a tough job. Mothering is hard no matter what. We do what's best for us, the best we can.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you get to live your dream of staying at home with Amelia. I know it's not necessarily the right choice for everyone but I have never regretted my 18 years as a SAHM.

    ReplyDelete