Monday, June 13, 2011

Sunflower Festival

Daddy's turn to wake up with Mia on Saturday morning=awesome.

After sleeping in and some brainstorming, we ended up in the car after lunch, driving an hour south to the country. Past cow fences, tall grass, and abandoned gas stations with signs advertising $.80 gas.

Now you should know, I'm a suburb gal. The hubby and I have lived in quite a range of places since we've been together. I'm not crunchy enough to live in an urban area. I'm not quaint enough to live in a rural area. I'm happiest in a squeaky clean neighborhood with one of those brick signs at the entrance letting you know that these folks bring their trash cans in as soon as the truck pulls away from the curb. Heaven forbid that ugly thing disgrace the street after supper time, lest the neighborhood go to shambles.

But seriously, I like knowing there are 4 grocery stores within a 2 mile radius of my house. Apparently, a mama needs options.

So a trip to the country to attend some little farm's rinky-dink Sunflower Festival sounds great. Only we didn't know it was some little farm. We (okay, I) worried our late start would mean huge crowds, long lines, trouble finding parking, etc. Would we be able to see and do everything at the Sunflower Festival in just a few hours?? Instead we meandered through small town America and down a bumpy country road, until we were right next to the train tracks. There we spotted the hand painted sign with the arrow...and the other 10 families or so that decided to come too.
It was everything you could want from a rinky-dink little farm festival.

There were sunflowers.

There were animals.

There was a barrel train pulled by a tractor.

There were performances by local musicians. Mia got a private concert consisting of the ABC song.

There was a corn pit. What Daddy toddler doesn't love to roll around in a pit of corn kernels?
There was also a scary "fun-house" in a red and white painted trailer and a heaping plate of chili cheese fries, but we won't go there.

There was a giant jumping pillow thing.

And did I mention the sunflowers?
I might just reconsider my whole grocery store affection...

No comments:

Post a Comment