Sunday, July 10, 2011

Book Review

The Help

I've seen movie trailers for this one and knew I wanted to read the book. It was excellent. Okay, I waited too long after reading it to do this little review, so I don't remember all the details. But I remember that I enjoyed being immersed in the time period and these women's lives. You should read it. 5 out of 5 stars. Wow, I really know how to sell a book, right?

The Wednesday Sisters
In some ways this was a typical girl-friends book, ala Traveling Pants or Ya-Ya Sisterhood. Set in the 60's, moms find friends at the playground. They meet every Wednesday and support each other through life's challenges. And start a writing group? This was the part that made it different. Because five female friends with distinct personalities going through cliche chick challenges was not different. While it was not top notch literature or anything, I liked it. It made me want to write about my life. How empowering! Plus, I actually have a group of real-life mom friends whom I met through a regular Wednesday baby program at the local library. So they got me there. 4 out of 5 stars.

Mortified
This book also made me think about writing. It is a series of diary/journal entries made by angsty teenagers from decades past. But instead of making me want to write, it made me never want to write down any thought again. How embarrassing! Because apparently what is important to you now will be hilariously dated and stupid in ten years or so. However, this made for a very entertaining read. 4 out of 5 stars.


 
Books that are not worth the time to blog about, but somehow I still finished them:
The Perks of Being a Wallflower- could not identify with this guy AT ALL. Coming of age high school tale. His high school experience was not so much mine. 1 out of 5 stars.

Almost Moon- creepy main character kills her mom. There isn't much action, we're just in her head the whole time. Pretty much boring. 1 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment