Friday, July 8, 2011

Flashback Friday: That Time I Flew My Breastmilk Across the Country

Back when Amelia was fresh and squishy, we moved from Connecticut to Texas. This was no small task. Especially since she was very much still nursing.
 
As I mentioned here, I went back to work for a short while after she was born. Which, as a breastfeeding mama, meant I had to pump. Which, as an overachiever, meant I had a freezer full of extra breastmilk.
After a short self-debate about whether or not to even try to move my surplus across the country (duh, who throws out liquid gold?!), I took on the task of preparing my breastmilk for its first flight. I'll go ahead and file this under Things I Never Imagined Doing in My Life.

Step 1: Research
I actually found people who had done this before and blogged about it with pictures. I know, weird, right? I also got on the TSA and specific airlines' websites to try to nail down their policies on such a thing. It took a little hunting since, apparently, this is not an everyday event.

Step 2: Prepare Milk
I had to buy the perfect cooler. I had to scout local dry ice vendors. I had to research the optimal way to pack it all and keep it frozen. And most importantly, according to the airline guidelines, I had to weigh and label the container. This was a series of unusual events in which, since I didn't (and still don't) own a scale, I had to rig up the trusty Wii Fit to weigh the milk.
 
Then I found myself sitting on the floor in a room full of boxes (of course we had already sold our desk by this time) at the computer typing a document announcing to the world that I was transporting bodily fluids in this blue 'Wheely Cool' cooler.

Microsoft Word kindly asked, "Do you want to save this document?" Well no, I can't imagine needing this document again.

Step 3: The Big Flight
I arrived to the airport a little early anticipating some difficulty transporting luggage, a small baby (with all the small baby accessories needed for traveling), and a cooler of frozen breastmilk across the country by myself. It took quite a while for the perplexed airline check-in lady to A)get over her shock and slight disgruntlement about this unusual situation, B)decide to help me in the cause, C)figure out all the paperwork necessary to get my "dangerous substances" on the flight.

Of course she also had to inspect the package. Which meant I had to unpack and display my frozen breastmilk all over the weigh station at the Continental Airlines check-in desk. All while wearing my baby in the Baby Bjorn.
 
After signing a bunch of forms assuring the airline that I was not transporting anything unsafe, I finally dropped off my luggage and the precious blue cooler and practically ran to the gate. I was the last to board.

Step 4: Arrive AKA wheel milk through airport and try to explain to the person picking you up why you have a cooler full of bodily fluids. Followed by step 5 in which you ask that person if you can store said fluids in their freezer.

So why did I decide to document this a year ago?
Everyone takes pictures of their frozen breastmilk.
I had too much time on my hands.
Sleep deprivation silliness.
I was able to foresee it would be perfect for a Flashback Friday on a blog that didn't yet exist.
It was one of the stranger things I've done in my life, and thus, needed to be documented.

1 comment: