Saturday, July 9, 2011

What Works for Us: Part IV

Since I was taking my niece and baby to a fireworks show past bedtime on the 4th of July, I knew I would need to be prepared. So besides the lawn chairs and some snacks, I packed a bag with some activities that would keep them occupied and happy while we all waited for the sun to go down. I included a blanket to sit on, some Mr. Potato Head toys, bubbles, glow sticks, and these handy little tubs:
That's just rice...in a large container (with a lid)....& some dollar store scoops and toys.
Amelia loved playing with them! So I brought them out again one morning this week.
She spent a long time scooping the rice in her hands, through the funnel, and onto the patio. I should have remembered to put a blanket underneath her so I could save that rice.
I like that it is slightly less messy than sand, but is still a good sensory experience. She only tried to eat the rice a couple of times. Not bad, right?

1 comment:

  1. I heard about your clever idea with the rice activity. How smart is that!

    ReplyDelete