Thursday, July 28, 2011

Mirror for Sale?

When my alarm went off at 6:25 this morning, I sat up and stared off in space for a few minutes. The hubby bustled around, finishing adjusting his tie and gathering his work things. He knows better than to talk to me first thing this early in the morning.

I finally hoisted myself from the bed, dug out a sports bra and pulled on some running shorts from the floor. I stumbled to the bathroom, put on my contacts, and brushed my hair into a messy ponytail. If I hadn't already scared my husband away from talking to me in the mornings, he might have offered to move over from the sink where he stood brushing his teeth so I could use the mirror. But like I said, he knows better.

So I fumbled with the coffee pot and poured some in a travel mug with extra creamer before loading into the car. In the backseat, the hubby was buckling in a cuddly little girl with sleepy eyes. If I had a caught a look at myself in the rear-view mirror as I backed out of the garage and onto the road to the Metro bus stop, I might have changed my morning plans. But I was focused on that precious girl blinking sweetly. And the hubby certainly wasn't going to say anything.

So we dropped him off in time for the commuter bus and drove to the park for an early morning workout. I ran and pushed the stroller. Amelia ate snack puffs and watched for airplanes and dogs. I huffed and puffed in the muggy air and stopped when I grew tired of the actual drops of sweat I was leaving behind. Then Amelia cleaned all the dew off the slides on the playground with her pajama bottoms and we headed home.

I spotted a garage sale sign on the way into the neighborhood and couldn't resist a drive-by. Turns out the family must have children a couple years ahead of us and needed to clean shop. So I parked, hauled the soggy bottom girl out of her seat, and began browsing with all the other early morning shoppers. I found too many treasures, including some great outdoor climbing toys, and realized I would need more cash.

After a quick trip to the ATM at the gas station down the street and a stop at the house to clear out the trunk, we returned to buy some low-priced goodies. Only after we had made it back home and changed the soggy diaper, and had breakfast, and played with the new toys, did I pop in the bathroom to take a quick shower.

YIKES! I was a mess! Now I'm no beauty queen when I wake up in the morning to begin with. And then there's Herbert. Add to that a sweaty workout and some serious humidity hair and you get a messy mommy monster. I mentally recalled everywhere I had showed my face that morning and cringed.

Too bad there wasn't a mirror for sale at that garage sale this morning. I think I might need one for future outings.

1 comment: